MMJ Labs was established in 2006 by pediatric emergency physician and pain researcher Amy Baxter. Inspired by the need to control needle pain, Dr. Baxter set out to develop reusable, physiologic products for home and hospital. Initial R&D funded by the NIH launched the flagship product Buzzy®
, a palm sized device combining cold and vibration. When placed "between the brain and the pain", the competing stimuli can eliminate or inhibit pain.
Since the official product launch in 2009, Buzzy®
has been adopted by over 5,000 hospitals and more than 50,000 consumers. With multiple patents and FDA 510 clearances for controlling pain from IVs, blood draws and cosmetic injections to relieving muscle injury and myofascial trigger point pain, the company has broadened the product line to include VibraCool Sport Therapy
Amy Baxter, MD
- CEO and Founder - Dr. Baxter directs innovation, invention, operations and strategy for MMJ Labs. Accomplishments include the 2009 1.1M NIH SBIR, writing and overseeing patent strategy, and successfully pursuing 510K FDA clearances. After graduating from Yale University and Emory Medical School, as a double boarded pediatric emergency physician, Dr. Baxter founded PEMA Emergency Research, Scottish Rite, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta while founding MMJ Labs. Recognition includes Forbes Ten Healthcare Disruptors, Inc. Top Women in Tech to Watch, Top 10 Innovative and Disruptive Women in Healthcare, a Wall Street Journal “Idea Person”, and the Most Innovative CEO of 2014 from Georgia Bio. National and international lecturing highlights include MakerFaire, AARP, and TEDMED.
Jennifer Tipping, JD
- Director of Business Development and International Contracting - Ms. Tipping brings 6 years of experience at Buzzy to focus on international and large accounts. Her expertise is in negotiating large hospital GPO contracts, international business development and support, and trademark strategy.
Lori Leal, CPA, MBA
- CFO A Six Sigma Black Belt and 2011 Baldridge Examiner - Ms. Leal directs growth strategies and process improvements for MMJ Labs. Bringing 11 years of experience as VP of Finance and CFO of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, Ms. Leal has worked with MMJ Labs since 2012.
Valerie Staffey, RN, MBA
- Director of Manufacturing and Regulatory Compliance - Ms. Staffey has 6 years of experience with MMJ Labs, and executes FDA audit and compliance oversight. Working closely with both manufacturing and regulatory, she implements QSR management and coordinates fulfillment services from contract negotiation to production to delivery.
Amanda Bell-Kirson, MS
- Director of Healthcare Education and Customer Relations With extensive experience in healthcare outreach and education, Ms. Bell-Kirson excels as a liaison with healthcare systems implementing disruptive Buzzy(r) Cold-Pulse Technology. She creates medical outreach strategy and executes healthcare training and support, in addition to handling consumer customer relations.
Alexandra Farrugia, MLIS
- Executive Administrator
- Web Programmer & Marketing Specialist - Mr. Stewart is responsible for helping to guide branding direction, media outreach, and comprehensive technical strategies for MMJ Labs. He ties the IT, social media, and web platforms together with our fulfillment systems to make sure that every can get their Buzzy®
quickly & easily, and to spread the message about Buzzy®
in the best way possible.